Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, February 14, 2011

    Rochester receives "Shout Out" in NY Times article regarding changes in rules regarding judicial campaign contributions.

    When I first started at the DA's office I recall being told that we could not engage in political activities such as helping on a campaign or joining a party committee. However the one curious exception was you could give money to a candidate. Within months of starting at the office I found myself attending political fundraisers for candidates I barely knew. The reason, everyone was doing it and it seemed like for some reason, as a lawyer you had to. With a number of years under my belt and now working in the private sector I have more of an understanding as to why. It is because everyone is doing it and it seems like as a lawyer, you have to.

    The judiciary is not insulated from the political process nor the political pressures inherent in any elected position. Whether you are running for a 4 year term as a Local Court Judge or a 14 year term as a State Supreme Court Judge there will be "help" offered and received to win that coveted spot. Once you are "helped" there is a perceived and in some instances an expressed duty owed to those who were so kind as to believe in you.

    NY Times

    No comments:

    Post a Comment